Just weeks after speaking out against “malicious rumors” after a tabloid speculated they were separating, Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco showed a solid front on a joint trip to Florence Wednesday. The couple traveled to commemorate the 160th anniversary of the principality’s consulate in Florence with a gala at the Palazzo Vecchio, the museum and former city hall. In the historic Solene dei 500, Charlene and Albert were joined by Italian singer Andrea Bocelli, his wife, Veronica Berti Bocelli, Anne Eastwood, Monaco’s ambassador to Italy, and Dario Nardella, the mayor of Florence.
Charlene wore a black sequin gown by AKRIS to the gala, which was also a fundraiser for the Andrea Bocelli Foundation, the Prince Albert II Foundation, and Istituto degli Innocenti, a public organization that promotes child welfare. The gala coincided with the centennial of the late artist Silvano Campeggi, who created the iconic posters for movies including Casablanca and Gone With the Wind. During the event his widow, Elena Campeggi, and son Giovanni Battista presented the prince and princess with two paintings Campeggi made of Albert’s famous mother, Grace Kelly.
Earlier in the day, Albert and Charlene visited Bocelli at his foundation’s headquarters in the Palazzo San Firenze to see students taking part in a vocational education program. The Bocelli family founded the organization in 2011 to address social exclusion, poverty, and illiteracy on a global scale. Albert’s foundation previously supported the ABF on a project bringing clean water to the citizens of Haiti.
Albert and Charlene will be making another joint international trip in the near future. In January, they confirmed their attendance at the May 6 coronation of King Charles III, joining a royal delegation that also includes representatives from Spain, Denmark, and Sweden. However, Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella, the couple’s eight-year-old twins, will not be joining their parents at the ceremony.
In a recent interview with People, Albert said he did plan to bring his children souvenirs from the trip, and will be bringing them on their first official visit to the United States in June. “In the briefings our ambassador has had with other ambassadors, we’ve learned we’ll have to limit the numbers of officials in the different delegations,” he told the magazine. “I’ll bring them any little ‘trinket’ I can put my hands on.”
Listen to Vanity Fair’s DYNASTY podcast now.