Queen Elizabeth II is under medical supervision at her Balmoral estate, Buckingham Palace announced Thursday morning. There have been growing concerns for the queen’s health since she was photographed looking particularly frail while meeting Britain’s new prime minister, Liz Truss, in Scotland earlier this week.
The monarch has suffered what the palace has described as “episodic mobility problems” for some time, but the 96-year-old’s health unexpectedly took a turn for the worst on Wednesday, with aides canceling a virtual Privy Council meeting that evening to swear in the new prime minister.
The situation is so serious that immediate members of her family have been informed and told to go to Balmoral. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are already at Balmoral, a spokesman confirmed to Vanity Fair, while the Duke of Cambridge is en route. Princess Anne is said to be there as well, while Prince Edward is on his way.
It is understood that the Sussexes, who are in Windsor, were informed of the queen’s declining health along with immediate family members. It is not known if they will travel to Balmoral today.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said: “Following further evaluation this morning, the queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision. The queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.”
Palace aides refused to comment further on the queen’s health, but it is understood that the queen, who was showing prominent bruising on her hands when she met Truss this week, has not had a fall.
This is a developing story.