Ever since April 30, Princess Charlene has eased back into her royal duties with appearances at a Monaco E-Prix race and a rugby tournament organized by her charity. The Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix, one the principality’s biggest annual events, is taking place on Sunday, and the princess and her husband Prince Albert reportedly have a slate of events planned over the next few days. But first, she made some time to accompany her seven-year-old daughter, Princess Gabriella, to her first official royal engagement with her mother, a Monaco Fashion Week awards ceremony at the Opera of Monaco on Tuesday night.
Before the pair left for the awards, Charlene posted a photograph with her daughter on Instagram, both wearing iridescent dresses. Hello reports that Charlene’s gown was designed by Terrence Bray, the South African fashion designer who also made her wedding dress in 2011. According to the Daily Mail, Charlene presented an award to Saudi fashion designer Abdul Al-Romaizan, whose work also opened the show.
After the event, she spoke to Monaco-Matin about how Gabriella liked her first experience of royal duties. “Gabriella, like all little girls her age, loves princess dresses, doing her hair and even trying on my lipsticks. Gabriella has her own style and I like to encourage that individuality,” she said. “This mother/daughter fashion outing for the Monte-Carlo Fashion Awards delighted me and for the first time we went on stage together. She wasn’t nervous at all, rather amused and she could have even put on a show on stage!”
She also made a rare comment about rumors in the French tabloids that her relationship with her husband, Prince Albert, was faltering. ”I still find it regrettable that certain media peddle such rumors about my life, my relationship,” she said. “Like everyone else, we are human beings and like all human beings we have emotions, weaknesses, only our family is exposed to the media and the slightest weakness is relayed.”
Charlene’s extended convalescence after an ENT infection meant that she spent most of last year in South Africa before spending four months continuing her recovery in Switzerland. In the interview, she explained why she took a few months to get back to royal duties after she returned to Monaco in March. “When I returned to the principality, I focused all my energy on my children, my husband and my health because they are my priority,” she said. “My state of health is still fragile and I don’t want to go too fast. The road has been long, difficult, and so painful.”
While Charlene and Gabriella were at the awards ceremony, Albert and son Prince Jacques attended an all-star soccer match at the Louis II stadium. On Sunday, Jacques will join Albert for the traditional lap of honor around the track before the match begins for the first time, according to Charlene.
Listen to Vanity Fair’s DYNASTY podcast now.